Most people are, rightly, a little bit scared of electrical problems that their home may have. After all, unlike issues with your plumbing where you may get a bit wet, electrical problems can and do injure and sometimes even kill people if you are not careful. That is why it always pays to go above and beyond to make sure that you call a professional electrician, no matter how small a problem seems to be. Here are three common household electrical faults that you should always call an electrician for, even if you think the problem has gone away.
Smoke And Sparks From An Outlet
Whenever you see smoke or sparking in an outlet it means that something serious is going wrong with the internals in that area of your home's electrical grid. There are many fail-safes in place to prevent people from getting electrocuted or from electrical components from catching on fire, but if they are sparking or emitting smoke, then odds are most of these have failed, and you are in danger of getting shocked should you try to use that outlet. This can be because of a poor appliance that has messed something up, bad maintenance or even poor installation from a past electrician. Whatever the cause is, the solution is always calling a professional electrician who can help stop this from becoming a liability.
Blown Out Bulbs
Having a light bulb blow in front of you can be quite a nerve-wracking experience no matter who you are, and if it happens over and over again, it can be quite discomfiting. There can be several reasons behind light bulbs blowing out so dramatically, from poorly manufactured bulbs to your power grid having too high a voltage. It deserves to be fully investigated so that it does not keep happening in the future and costing you a lot of money in repairs and new bulbs!
Flickering lights are not that much of a dangerous problem most of the time, but they can become one if given enough leeway. Flickering lights behave that way because the connection at some point in your power grid is unstable. If it becomes worse than it already is, then this connection can cause sparks in rare circumstances, but all it takes is one ember to set a house on fire. Don't risk that when the solution is so much easier and also more convenient for you because it removes that annoying flickering light for good
Jonathon here. I am currently completing my electrical apprenticeship and I have to say, it has been a challenge. Before I started, I didn’t realise that there was so much involved in wiring a house or building. Safety, efficiency, aesthetics and costs all have to be taken into account. My boss is so patient. One customer asked us to leave electrical wires exposed because he wanted an “industrial effect”. My boss explained that it would be illegal and they compromised. I have really learnt that electrical installation is one area in which people should not take short-cuts or undertake home handiwork. This blog should help you to gain a little more insight into electrical installation and its intricacies. I hope you find it enlightening. Thank you for stumbling into my corner of the blogosphere.